Shinee (pron.: /ˈʃaɪniː/ SHY-nee; 샤이니; Japanese: シャイニー; more commonly known and stylized as SHINee) is a South Korean contemporary R&B boy group formed by SM Entertainment in 2008.The group consists of Onew, Jonghyun, Key, Minho, and Taemin. They made their debut on May 25, 2008 on SBS‘s The Music Trend with their single, “Replay” (Korean: 누난 너무 예뻐 (Replay)).
Since their debut, Shinee has released three full-length albums, four mini-albums, one live album and various singles. They have also won many awards, held a concert tour and starred in their own reality shows. SHINee is considered to be a fashion icon having started the “Shinee Trend” and are known for their highly synchronized and complicated dancing.
They made their Japanese debut on June 22, 2011 by releasing a Japanese version of their single, Replay, and gained the title “The artist who managed to get in top 3 for 3 continuous releases since debut” for the foreign artist category. Such an achievement had never been gained by anyone else ever since the single ranking chart was established 44 years ago in January 1968, followed by their first Japanese studio album, The First on December 7, 2011.
Image and artistry
Shinee is known for their fashion style, created by designer Ha Sang Baek (하상백), which features high-top sneakers, skinny jeans and colorful sweaters.Their style has created a fashion trend amongst students which the media dubbed the “SHINee Trend”.
- 2008: Casual Clothing Brand “Clride.n” with Min Hyo-rin
- 2008: SK Networks “Smart School Uniform” with Victoria Song and Park Ji-yeon
- 2008-2009: Cosmetic brand “Nana’s B”
- 2009: Sports brand “Reebok”
- 2009: Casual Clothing Brand “Clride.n” with Kim So-eun Kim So-eun
- 2009: Snack Food Brand “Ottogi”
- 2009: Chicken Brand “Mexicana Chicken”
- 2010: Canned Coffee Brand “Santa Fe”
- 2010-2012: Casual clothing “Maypole”
- 2011: Internet Mall “Auction”
- 2011: Japanese clothing brand “Right-On”
- 2011-2012: Cosmetic brand “Etude House” with Sandara Park
- 2012: Popular comic, “The Blade of the Phantom Master” for a new webtoon series titled “ENT” with SMTown
- 2013: Cosmetic brand “Etude House” with Krystal and Sulli
- 2012: I AM.
- 2012: SMTOWN Live in Tokyo Special Edition in 3D
- 2008: My Precious Child (Cameo Ep. 9 and 10)
- 2008: Mnet Shinee’s Yunhanam
- 2010: KBS Joy Shinee’s Hello Baby
- 2012: KBS World Date with SHINee
- 2013: MBC SHINee’s Wonderful Day
Music video appearances